Isle of Hope United Methodist Church in the Savannah District held its Homecoming Services on May 6, 2012. The historic Savannah church was first organized on the mainland on December 18, 1851, and later moved to the island. During the Civil War the original church building was used as a hospital for Southern soldiers. At this year’s homecoming, former members, friends and former pastors joined in multiple worship services, “dinner on the grounds,” and a special service of dedication for the Green House. The Green House is a beautiful youth and educational facility constructed on property that is adjacent to the main facilities. The idea of constructing a facility that would provide space for a growing congregation began when Dr. Jim Trice was the pastor. With his guidance, and the help of Mrs. Eva Newton and Ann Mallory, the first piece of property was purchased. Later, under the leadership of former pastor Rev. C. Dick Reese, and again with Mrs. Mallory’s help, another piece of property was purchased. During Rev. Reese’s tenure as pastor, the Green House was built on those two pieces of property. The design and fund raising for “The Green House Project” began in 2006. Construction of the $2.7 million facility was complete in February 2009. With the blessing and help of Almighty God and the generosity of the congregation, the new building was paid for in less than five years. This year’s homecoming was very special because former pastors including Dr. and Mrs. Jim Trice, Rev. and Mrs. Dick Reese, Rev. and Mrs. Rob Grotheer, Rev. and Mrs. Jim Rush and Rev. and Mrs. James Chester were all present for the celebration. Rev. Mike Huling, Savannah District Superintendent, and Mrs. Huling were also present. In addition to preaching at two of the morning services, Rev. Huling led in the burning of the note and the dedication of the Green House.